When you need general surgery, you’ll benefit from individual attention and a personal care plan at Pella Regional Health Center. Trust your team to start with the most effective, least invasive approaches.
What Is General Surgery?
General surgery treats diseases and conditions that affect the:
- Blood vessels
- Digestive tract and system
- Endocrine (hormone) glands
General surgeons may work with other doctors and specialists to help treat you.
If you’re referred to Pella Regional for diagnostic tests, you may receive:
- Bronchoscopy, which helps your doctor see inside your lungs
- Colonoscopy, which uses a small camera to see inside your large intestine (colon)
- Gastroscopy, in which a thin, flexible tube (endoscope) helps look inside your upper digestive tract, including your stomach and first part of the small intestine
- Upper endoscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) uses a thin scope with a light and camera to see inside your esophagus, stomach, and upper part of the small intestine
General Surgery Services
You and your doctor work with our skilled, board-certified surgeons who hold education and experience in a wide range of general surgery procedures, such as:
- Aesthetics, including injections for Botox® and Juvederm®
- Appendectomy – Removes the appendix
- Breast surgery for medical needs, including lumpectomy and mastectomy
- Cancer surgery – Removes tumors or cancerous tissue
- Colon (bowel) resections – Remove part of the colon
- Cesarean birth – Delivers a baby surgically
- Gallbladder surgery – Removes the gallbladder
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) surgery, known as Nissen fundoplication – Treats chronic heartburn and acid reflux
- Hemorrhoid surgery – Removes swollen blood vessels inside the rectum (hemorrhoids)
- Hernia repair – Corrects a hernia, or the bulging organs or tissues through the abdomen’s wall
- Thyroid surgery – Treats both cancerous and noncancerous thyroid issues by removing all or part of the thyroid gland
- Trauma and emergency surgery
- Vasectomy – Male sterilization
Pella Regional is proud to be the first and one of the few hospitals in Iowa to offer da Vinci® robot-assisted surgery. This uses advanced robotic technology to assist surgeons while improving surgical precision and reducing recovery time.
Preparing for Surgery
After scheduling surgery, learn how to prepare and what to expect before, during, and after your surgery. You’ll have support services and recovery programs available at Pella Regional to help you get back to your everyday life.