If you or someone you love has a speech, language, cognitive, or swallowing disorder, turn to Pella Regional Health Center's locations in Pella, Ottumwa and Knoxville for care and treatment. Relearn or build skills with the help of our experienced speech therapists close to home in central and southeastern Iowa.
What is Speech Therapy?
Speech therapists evaluate, diagnose and treat communication, language and swallowing problems. You can expect treatments to improve your ability to communicate effectively.
Certified Speech Therapists
Rely on the expertise of your speech therapists at Pella Regional. The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association certifies all our speech therapists.
Conditions We Treat
Ask your doctor for a referral if you need speech therapy to treat conditions, such as:
- Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Motor speech disorders
- Stroke recovery
- Swallowing disorders
- Throat and voice illnesses, especially those of the larynx
- Traumatic brain injuries
What to Expect at Your First Appointment
Count on your speech therapist at Pella Regional to thoroughly evaluate your symptoms or condition. You may need tests to diagnose your condition and help your therapist decide on the best treatment for you. Then, your therapist creates an individual plan to help you achieve your best possible results.
Treatments & Services
Find a range of treatments and services at Pella Regional to improve your speech and language abilities. Your speech therapist may recommend:
- Breathing treatments
- Conversation tools and strategies to help you speak clearly
- Education for families and caregivers to help with your recovery
- Exercises to make your throat muscles stronger
- Speech alternative tools, such as electrical devices and other methods of communication
- Visual reminders and cues to help with memory or cognitive conditions