Being at a reasonable weight can benefit your health. You will have more energy and are less likely to have problems with heart disease, diabetes, or cancer. You may also sleep better, have less stress, and less joint pain. Losing just 10-20 pounds makes a BIG difference for most people.
Healthy Ways to Lose Weight:
- Think about healthy eating instead of dieting. Make changes that will last for a lifetime.
- Eat a variety of foods. No food is perfect so do not get stuck on eating only a few. Eat lots of colorful foods and keep it fun and interesting!
- Portion down. Smaller is usually better, especially when eating out or snacking.
- Share dessert with a friend or family member.
- Reduce or replace high calorie beverages. Drink more water.
- Eat because you are hungry rather than from boredom, stress, or being tired.
- Look for opportunities to be active. Move for at least 5 minutes every hour.
- Plan ahead when grocery shopping so you will have lots of low-calorie, quick foods available.
- To prevent overeating, do not go more than 4-6 hours without a meal or small snack.
At meal times:
- Fill 1/2 of your plate with colorful vegetables and fruits. Fresh, frozen, or canned in water, or fruit in it’s own juice are great choices.
- Choose whole grain foods like brown rice, whole grain pasta, or whole grain breads but limit them to 1/4 of your plate.
- On 1/4 of your plate, include lean meats, fish, chicken, turkey, or other protein foods. Trim fat. Remove skin. Choose meats that are not breaded or deep-fried.
- Skip second helpings entirely or go back only for more vegetables.
- Stop when you are satisfied, rather than full.
- Make peace with leaving food on your plate.