The Empty Cradle program at Pella Regional provides care, support and resources to families who have experienced the death of a baby due to miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or early infant death.
Families who express an interest in a follow-up phone call or visit receive phone calls, home visits, newsletters, cards and referrals for grief counseling based on family’s wishes and needs. Services are provided for approximately one year. We work with children, siblings and grandparents when needed.
Ways to Remember Your Baby:
- Talk openly about your baby on a regular basis. If you selected a name for your baby, include the baby’s name in your conversations. If others hear you talking about your baby, they will realize that you are comfortable talking about your loss and they can better support you.
- Plant a flower or tree in memory of your baby.
- Display a photo, handprint, footprint or ultrasound picture of your baby in your home or office.
- Hang a stocking or ornament for your baby at Christmas.
- Light a candle in honor of your baby on the anniversary of your baby’s birth or death.
- Make a scrapbook of your memorabilia. Create a journal and write down everything you remember about your pregnancy, your baby’s life and death, the support you received from others, and your thoughts and feelings in the days, weeks and months to follow.
- Purchase a special toy, stuffed animal, baby outfit or piece of jewelry to have in memory of your baby.