Waiting for COVID-19 Test Results?
Self-Isolation Instructions for Coronavirus (COVID 19)
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19, quarantining is the safest and best way to prevent the spread.
How long should I quarantine?
If you have been screened and tested for COVID-19, here are your next steps while waiting for your test results:
- Self-isolate in your home until Pella Regional Health Center calls you with your test results.
- The results will vary on how long this will take, but we will call you as soon as we receive them.
- Limit your contact with household contacts, pets and animals.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes.
- Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid sharing personal household items such as dishes, drinking glasses, eating utensils, towels, and bedding while sick.
- Clean all high touch surfaces every day including counters, tabletops doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and bedside tables.
- Monitor your signs and symptoms. If you develop the following emergency warning signs seek medical attention immediately. These signs include:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face
*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.
- Call your doctor before seeking medical care if your cough, shortness of breath, fever or other signs and symptoms have worsened and it’s not an emergency. Tell them that you are being evaluated for COVID 19. Follow their directions for an appointment and further evaluation.
- Call 911 if you have a medical emergency and notify the dispatch personnel that you are being evaluated for COVID 19.
Testing results and further guidance
- Continue Home Isolation for the instructed time given to you from Pella Regional Health Center and Iowa Department of Public Health
- Exception if you need to seek medical care for worsening symptoms.
- Call your doctor or notify 911 that you have a positive COVID 19 test result.
- Manage symptoms at home
- Fever, use Tylenol and Motrin
- Use cough suppressing medications as needed and humidification if possible
- Drink water
- Continue good personal hygiene, cover cough, wash hands, don’t share personal items with other household contacts.
1) Stay home until signs and symptoms of current illness have resolved.