Living in Pella
Enjoy a fulfilling career at Pella Regional Health Center while living in a welcoming Midwestern college town.
Taste of the Netherlands in Iowa
Dutch immigrants founded Pella in the 1840s. See how our unique history is reflected in our architecture, landscaping, and community events. This includes Tulip Time, our popular Dutch Heritage Festival held every spring. It’s where we set the world record for most people dancing in wooden shoes.
Be sure to check out the Vermeer Mill, the tallest working windmill in the U.S. It was built in the 1850s in the Netherlands and, in 2002, shipped to and reassembled in Pella.
Learn more about our unique story and must-see attractions, including the boyhood home of Old West icon Wyatt Earp, at the Pella Historical Society Museums website.
What’s It Like to Live in Pella?
With Iowa’s capital and largest city, Des Moines, a short 40-minute drive away, you have fast access to everything a larger metropolitan area can offer. But you’ll also experience the high quality of life and low cost of living available in a smaller city.
Join more than 10,000 other residents who moved to or chose to stay in a city ranked:
- Best Small Town in Iowa by Insider, Inc.
- Third best place to live in the U.S. by USA Today
- 19th Best Small Town in the U.S. by Livability
- One of the most beautiful main streets in America by Architectural Digest
- Second safest city in the state by National Council for Home Safety and Security and Alarms.org
Arts & Culture
Spend time with friends, family, and neighbors dining out at Pella restaurants and shopping. Visit our entertainment venues and cultural and academic institutions for enjoyable events for audiences of all ages and interests. Check out:
- Pella Cinemas, our local movie theater
- Pella Opera House, a historic landmark hosting cultural events throughout the year
- Union Street Players, our local theater company
- Newton Community Theatre and Valle Drive-In movie theater in Newton, Iowa
- The Civic Center and Des Moines Arts Festival in Des Moines, Iowa
View the Pella Area Community & Economic Alliance community calendar to stay up-to-date on:
- Arts and crafts events
- Beer, wine, and food tastings
- Concerts and recitals
- Central College faculty lecture series
- Farmers markets
- Literary events at the Pella Public Library
- Storytelling slams
- Trivia nights and bingo games
- Visual art exhibits
Parks & Recreation
Connect with nature, relax indoors and outdoors, and stay active at:
- Aquatic Center with a lazy river and slides
- Bos Landen Golf Course
- Caldwell Park baseball and softball diamonds
- Fifteen city parks
- Gladys Black Eagle Refuge
- Lake Red Rock, Iowa’s largest lake
- Pella Excit-A-Bowl bowling alley
- Pella Golf & Country Club
- Roberts Creek Archery Range and Disc Golf Course
- Volksweg Trail, a paved trail for walkers, runners, and cyclists, and our many nature trails
- Winter ice skating
Discover our city’s additional recreation opportunities, including camping, boating, city-sponsored recreation leagues, swimming, and more.
Schools & Education
You and your loved ones can take advantage of a wide range of educational opportunities for people of all ages. Feel confident in the quality of our schools and dedication of our teachers because:
- Forbes ranks Pella on its list of The Best Schools for Your Real Estate Buck
- High school students score an average ACT score of 25, higher than the national average of 21
- Pella Community School and Pella Christian School systems are Iowa Blue Ribbon Schools
Elementary, Middle & High Schools
Your child will benefit from engaging teachers and well-rounded academic experiences as they grow. Choose from a variety of options when enrolling your child in:
- Preschool and prekindergarten programs
- Pella Community School system’s elementary, middle, and high schools, which offer college credit, career and technical education, honors, and special education classes
- Pella Christian School system’s kindergarten through 12thgrade program, which offers a Spanish immersion program to help students reach fluency
- Peoria Christian Grade School’s for children from kindergarten to eighth grade
- PEACE – Purposeful Education And Christian Encouragement homeschooling community
Private Liberal Arts College
Explore the academic and athletic offerings at Central College, a four-year liberal arts college educating scholars in Pella since 1853.